How to Choose the Best Drug and Alcohol Detox Center in San Antonio
Alcoholism and drug addiction are serious conditions that can be very difficult to overcome. Unfortunately, 10% of Americans struggle with substance use disorders and 75% of them never receive the treatment they need.
When you are addicted to a substance, your body begins to depend on it to function properly. This means if you suddenly stop taking the drug, you will experience symptoms of withdrawal. Depending on which substance you are addicted to, your withdrawal symptoms could be severe or even life-threatening without medical treatment.
It is always recommended to attend a medical detox center when you stop using drugs or alcohol. Once you decide to enter detox, you must find a program that suits your specific needs. While finding a reputable drug and alcohol detox center in San Antonio can be difficult, there are ways to make this process easier.
Signs You Need Drug and Alcohol Detox in San Antonio
Sometimes people struggling with addiction have a difficult time assessing whether they require professional treatment. If you or a loved one suffers from alcoholism or drug addiction, you must be aware of the signs that you need detox.
The signs you need drug and alcohol detox in San Antonio include:
- Continuing to abuse a substance despite facing social, emotional, or physical health problems
- Using more of a substance at once than you intended to
- Having a hard time cutting back on or quitting a substance entirely
- Losing interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Isolating from friends and family to continue abusing substances
- Needing more of a substance to experience a desired effect (building a tolerance)
- Experiencing strong urges or cravings to abuse a substance
- Dealing with withdrawal symptoms when you cannot abuse a substance
If you experience the above-mentioned symptoms, you are addicted to drugs or alcohol. This means you will require medical detox services to overcome the withdrawal stage of recovery.
How to Find the Best Drug and Alcohol Detox Program in San Antonio
Once you’ve determined that you need drug and alcohol detox, it’s time to start looking for a reputable program to attend. Because there are so many detox centers out there, knowing how to find the best one is vital.
If you are looking for a drug and alcohol detox program in San Antonio, look for the following qualities:
Most medical detox centers will use individualized treatment planning instead of a one-size-fits-all approach. This ensures that you receive services and treatments that are specific to your needs. To create an individualized treatment plan, the medical team will ask you questions about your substance abuse, mental health, physical health, and family history.
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
The best drug and alcohol detox centers in San Antonio use medication-assisted treatment (MAT) to help their patients overcome withdrawal. MAT involves the use of medications to soothe withdrawal symptoms and prevent cravings, making it easier for you to focus on other aspects of recovery, like therapy or group counseling.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), MAT provides the following benefits:
- Improved patient survival
- Increased retention in treatment
- Decreased illicit opiate use and other criminal activity among people with substance use disorders
- Increased patient ability to gain and maintain employment
- Improved birth outcomes among women who have substance use disorders and are pregnant
Licensing and Accreditation
There are tons of detox programs out there, but not all of them are created equally. Looking for programs that have licensing and accreditation is a great way to weed out exceptional facilities. When a program has licenses and is accredited, that means they have met state and local standards and are proven to be effective in its treatment methods.
Options for a Continuum of Care
Lastly, you should always choose a program that provides a continuum of care. To explain, detox is only the first step in addiction recovery. To fully heal from a substance use disorder you must also receive inpatient or outpatient addiction treatment.
Many medical detox programs are attached to inpatient or outpatient facilities that can provide you with the therapy, group counseling, and relapse prevention planning you need to maintain long-term sobriety.
Get Connected to a Top-Rated Drug and Alcohol Detox Center in San Antonio
If you or a loved one suffers from drug addiction or alcoholism in San Antonio, it’s time to seek professional help. The first step in addiction recovery is attending a medical detox program where you can receive treatment for withdrawal. At Alamo Behavioral Health, we can provide you with detox services and traditional addiction treatment based on your personal needs.
To learn more about how we can help you recover from drug or alcohol addiction, contact Alamo Behavioral Health today.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH): 10 percent of US adults have drug use disorder at some point in their lives, Retrieved August 2023 From https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/10-percent-us-adults-have-drug-use-disorder-some-point-their-lives
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Medications for Substance Use Disorders, Retrieved August 2023 From https://www.samhsa.gov/medications-substance-use-disorders